Upcoming readings and events
March 18, 2017, 3:30pm, Berkeley Art Museum reading of ekphrasis poetry (workshop with MK Chavez and Sharon Coleman from 1:30-3:15pm)
March 20, 2017, 4pm, Africa, the Continent. Saint Mary’s College of California Library, Moraga, CA
April 7, 2017 Host, Cleave: Bay Area Women Writers with Thea Matthews, Meghan Elison, Lluvia de Milagros Carrasco, Lis White
April 20, 2017, Writing Forward Reading Series at Santa Clara University with a visit to the Advanced Poetry class (12pm) and reading (5pm, St. Clare Room).
April 29, 2017, 7pm, Enrichment Panel for In the Heights with Jose Feito, Saint Mary’s College of California
May 13, 2017, 1:30-5pm, Artists for Sustained and United Resistance (ASUR) Workshop. “Say Her Name!”: Writing the Poetry of Witness. Temescal Arts Center, 511 48th St, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
June 8, 2017, reading in Santa Ana with Sarah Rafael García and Jasminne Mendez
June 9, 2017 Cleave and Liminal chapbook release
June 10, 2017 Hedgebrook Fundraiser and Workshop on "Po’ Biz: The Business of Poetry"
July 20, 2017, Museum of the African Diaspora and Cave Canem reading
tentative August 6 in Austin with Torch (reading and workshop)
August 17, 2017, 6-8pm, Museum of African Diaspora and Cave Canem poets respond to The Ease of Fiction in the Community Voices programming. Featured poet with Arisa White, Indigo Moor, Shia Shabazz, Charif Shanahan, devorah major, Marvin Whive, Alyss Dixson, James Cagney and George Higgins
August 11 Host, Cleave
October 13, Host, Cleave
December 8, Host Cleave
1. Featured reader with Lenard D. Moore, Dr. L. Teresa Church, Cedric Tillman, and Dr. Lauri Ramey. "The Carolina African American Writers Collective. After over 20 years, a visioning of what’s to come.” Associated Writers and Writing Programs. Washington, D.C. February 10, 2017.
2. Featured reader with Pank Journal and Nomadic Press. Associated Writers and Writing Programs. Washington, D.C. February 11, 2017.
3. February 19, 2017, 3pm, Poetry Flash reading with Michael McLaughlin
4. February 21, 2017, respective of David Hammond with Tongo Eisen-Martin and Friends, The Wattis Institute of Contemporary Art, 360 Kansas St., San Francisco, 7pm
5. March 2, 2017, 7pm, Hazel Reading Series at The Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, 2868 Mission Street
6. March 4-6, 2017, Workshop at The Sanctuary in Arcata; Reading at The Sanctuary; Workshop and Reading at Humboldt State University
7. Tuesday, March 7, 7-9:00 PM, reading at Dog-Eared Books in Castro, Nomadic Press reading with Youssef Alaoui Fdili, Vernon Keeve, Fisayo Adeyeye, MK Chavez, and Maw Shein Win
8. March 9, 2017 9:45-11:15 Founders Lounge, Critical Community Group, Nobody: Casualties of America’s War on the Vulnerable from Ferguson to Flint and Beyond, Founders Lounge
9. March 9, 2017, 4-6pm, ProArts Gallery reading in Oakland, CA with Arisa White, Lyndsey Ellis, Nazelah L. Jamison and moderated by Rochelle Spencer, 2301 Telegraph Ave
1. Bloody Mary Series. Alley Cat Books. San Francisco. CA. January 21, 2016.
2. Get Lit. Ale Industries. Oakland, CA. February 16, 2016.
3. Launch for Remembering the Days that Breathed Pink, Green Apple Books – 9th Avenue. San Francisco, CA. March 11, 2016.
4. Featured with Nick Cuzzi, Simon Neely, Jessica Wickens, Adobe Bookshop, San Francisco, CA. March 6, 2016.
5. Annual Calendar Party, East End United Community Center, Uniontown, PA. March 19, 2016.
6. Featured with Paul Casey. Pegasus Books. Berkeley, CA. April 5, 2016.
7. Featured with Tongo Eisen-Martin, Peter Kline, and Indiana Pehlivanova. Poetry at 728, San Francisco, CA. April 9, 2016.
8. Featured with Tereza Joy Kramer and Abbigail Baldys. Cleave: Bay Area Women Writers. Octopus Literary Salon. April 15, 2016.
9. Lyrics & Dirges. San Francisco Write This Minute Literary Festival, San Francisco, CA. April 23, 2016.
10. Featured with Katie Walker, Andrea Murphy, Siavash Saadlou, Andrew Hamiltion. Spring Symposium. Saint Mary’s College of California. Moraga, CA. April 27, 2016.
11. Nomadic Press. Oakland, CA. May 13, 2016.
12. 14th Annual Berkeley Poetry Festival, Berkeley City College, Berkeley, CA. May 14, 2016
13. Featured with Judy Halebsky. Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA. May 17, 2016.
14. Featured with Kevin Kvist Peters, Arisa White, and Annelyse Gelman. Adobe Books. San Francisco, CA. June 6, 2016.
15. Featured with Arisa White, Indigo Moor, and Alyss Dixon. University Press Books. Berkeley, CA. June 8, 2016.
16. Orinda Books release, Remembering the Days that Breathed Pink, Orinda, CA. June 10, 2016.
17. Featured with MK. Chavez, Josiah Flores. Pan Dulce Poets. La Reyna Bakery. San Francisco, CA. Jingle Town series. César Chavez Library. Fruitvale, Oakland, CA. June 18, 2016.
18. CantoMundo. Austin, TX. July 21-24, 2016.
19. Nuestra Palabra Series on the Air, KBFT with Lupe Mendez and Javier Zamora, Houston, TX. July 25, 2016
20. Tinteros at NPrint, Houston, CA. July 2016.
21. Nomadic Press Chapbook Release party of profeta withour refuge, Oakland, CA, September 23, 2016
22. Oakland Crossroads Reading, Studio Grand. Oakland, CA. September 27, 2016.
23. Mill Valley Litquake “Poetry World Series”. Make-Out Room. San Francisco, CA. October 12, 2016.
24. Featured reading at The Liminal Center. Oakland, CA. October 29, 2016.
25. Featured reading at The LitMus Salon. November 12, 2016.
26. Featured reader, 4th Ó Bhéal Winter Warmer Festival of Poetry. Cork, Ireland and Workshop Leader with Working Artist Studios in Skibereen, Ireland. November 24-28, 2016.
27. Host, Cleave: Bay Area Women Writers series at the Octopus Literary Salon, featuring Alyss Dixon, Tonya Foster, Lluvia de Milagros Carrasco. December 9, 2016.
28. Facilitator, Sustained Resistance: An Evening to Share. Oakland, CA. December 10, 2016 7-11pm,
29. Featured reader with Simon Phillips, Donald Quist, and David Olimpio. Adobe Books. San Francisco, CA. December 18, 2016.
30. Under the Influence. The Emerald Tablet. San Francisco, CA. January 15, 2015.
31. InsideStoryTime: Prophecy, La Movida, San Francisco. January 20, 2015.
32. La Palabra at Avenue 50 Studio. Los Angeles, CA. February 28, 2015.
33. Lunada, Galería de la Raza, Mission, San Francisco, CA. March 5, 2015.
34. No Justice, No Service: The Bay Area Art and Education Justice Festival, The Lab, San Francisco, CA. March 8, 2015.
35. Eleven Eleven release. Jered’s Pottery. Berkeley, CA. March 8, 2015.
36. "Live from the Worm" curated by Michael McLaughlin at The Bookworm Bookstore in Santa Maria, CA. March 14, 2015.
37. Eighth Annual Tahoe Poetry Slam, Sierra Nevada College, Patterson Hall, Incline Village, NV. April 24, 2015.
38. Unity Church. Walnut Creek, Ca. May 3, 2015.
39. Featured with Aimee Suzara, Ploy Pirapokin, Dottie Payne, Katya Bitar, and Sandra García Rivera. Flor y Canto reading. Artillery Art Gallery. San Francisco, CA. May 14, 2015.
40. Featured with Amalia Alvarez and Francisco Alarcón. Celebration of Federico García Lorca reading. Alley Cat Books, San Francisco. June 5, 2015.
41. University Press Books and OmniVerse. hosted by Peter Burghardt. Berkeley, CA. June 14, 2015.
42. Crosstalk, Color, Composition Conference (Formerly the Berkeley Poetry Conference). June 14, 2015.
43. Featured with Jesús Castillo, Jayinee Basu, and Mauro Javier Cardenas, Quiet Lightning’s Chemical Wedding, San Francisco, CA. June 14, 2015.
44. Lyrics & Dirges. Pegasus Books. Berkeley, CA. July 15, 2015.
45. Galería de la Raza in celebration of the Leticia Hernandez Linares. San Francisco, CA. November 15, 2015.
46. Nuestra Palabra on the Air, KBFT, Houston, TX, hosted by Lupe Méndez. December 8, 2015.
47. Fourteen Hills, San Francisco, CA. December 15, 2015.
48. Featured with Jane Gregory and Joseph Bradshaw. Studio One, Oakland, CA. February 7, 2014.
49. Hazel Reading Series. San Francisco, CA. February 9, 2014.
50. Salmon Poetry reading. Kirkland Room. Sheraton Hotel. Seattle, WA. February 28, 2014.
51. Reading and Panelist. CantoMundo. Associated Writing Programs Conference, Seattle, WA. March 1, 2014.
52. Featured with Bonafide Rojas and Fish Vargas. Red Poppy Art House. San Francisco, CA. March 6, 2014.
53. Featured with Sandra Harrison Kay. Towne Center Books. Pleasanton, CA. March 10, 2014.
54. Featured with Brenda Hillman, Alexandra Mattraw, Kevin Simmonds, Sara Mumolo. Saint Mary’s College of California, Moraga, CA. April 2, 2014.
55. Featured with Shane Book, Edward Garcia, Patrick Rosal, F. Omar Telan, Rich Villar, and Yolanda Wisher. Big Blue Marble Books. Philadelphia, PA. April 5, 2014.
56. LouderArts. Bar13. New York City, NY. April 7, 2014.
57. Featured with Kevin Simmonds and Alexandra Mattraw. City Lights Bookstore. San Francisco, CA. April 9, 2014.
58. Featured with Erica Lewis, Alexandra Mattraw and Valerie Witte. Pegasus Bookstore. Berkeley, CA. April 9, 2014.
59. Featured with Lenard D. Moore and Sheila Smith McKoy. Bullshead Bookstore. University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill, NC. April 16, 2014.
60. Featured with Lenard D. Moore and Sheila Smith McKoy. Quail Ridge Bookstore. Raleigh, NC. April 17, 2014.
61. Featured with Eddie Bell, Ed Madden and Grace Ocasio. Ed’s Editions. Columbia, SC. April 18, 2014.
62. Featured with TJ Jarrett and Daniel Redman. Kevin Simmonds book release. Fort Mason Bookstore. San Francisco, CA. April 19, 2014.
63. Featured with Willie Perdomo, Patricia Smith and Sandra Garcia Rivera. Curated by Fish Vargas. Brower Center. Berkeley, CA. June 29, 2014.
64. Jazz Verse Jukebox. London, England. July 13, 2014.
65. More Poetry. London England. July 14, 2014.
66. Paris Lit Up. Paris, France. July 17, 2014.
67. Ó Bhéal series. Cork, Ireland. www.obheal.ie. July 28, 2014.
68. On the Nail series. The Loft Venue. The Locke Bar. Georges Quay. Limerick, Ireland. August 5, 2014.
69. Slamazón. The Redwood Café in Cotati, CA. August 26, 2014.
70. Featured with Shane Book and Lamont Steptoe. Moonstone Poetry. Brandywine Workshop. Philadelphia, PA. September 29, 2014.
71. Voz Sin Tinta. Alley Cat Books. San Francisco, CA. October 9, 2014.
72. Featured with Oscar Bermeo, Tatyana S. Brown, Rosa Cabrera. Litquake Acentos West: The Intersection reading. Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts. San Francisco, CA. October 18, 2014.
73. Featured with Elizabeth Rosner, Rashaan Alexis Meneses, Annelyse Gelman, and Judy Halebsky. Orinda Books. Orinda, CA. November 14, 2014.
74. Barkin Dog Grill reading series, Modesto. CA. December 9, 2014.
77. Featured with Alexandra Mattraw and Jessica Wickens. Bird and Beckett. San Francisco, CA. June 16, 2013.
78. Boogeyman Dawn. 9 on the Ninth. Washington DC. August 9, 2013.
79. Yerba Buena Gardens Festival and Litquake. San Francisco, CA. August 20, 2013.
80. Featured with Alexandra Mattraw, Della Watson, and Jessica Wickens. Green Apple Books. San Francisco, CA. August 22, 2013.
81. Marcus Books. Lit Quake. San Francisco, CA. October 13, 2013.
82. Featured with Blas Falconer, John Murillo, and Maria Melendez. Letras Latinas series. University of Notre Dame. Notre Dame, IN. October 30, 2013.
83. East End United Community Center. Uniontown, PA. November 26, 2013.
84. Opening for “The Suppression of Sound” with Thomas Sayers Ellis & James Brandon Lewis. Red Poppy Art House. San Francisco, CA. November 26, 2013.
85. Mission Arts Performance Project. The Mission. San Francisco, CA. December 7, 2013.
86. Fort Mason Reading Series. Curated by Jack Hirschman. Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA. December 26, 2013.
87. First Wednesday Reading series. Reedley College. Reedley, CA. March 7, 2012.
88. Poetry reading and workshop. Ranco Cielo. Salinas, CA. May 3, 2012.
89. Canto Mundo Poetry Reading. University of Texas – Austin. Austin, TX. July 14, 2012.
90. CantoMundo. Litquake: San Francisco’s Literary Festival. October 13, 2012.
2006 - 2011
91. Poetry reading from Canticle of Idols, Palabra Pura Reading series. Notre Dame University. Chicago, IL. July 21, 2011.
92. Canticle of Idols Author Talk. University of Georgia-Atlanta. February 2010.
93. Annual Poetry Month reading series. Robin’s Bookstore. Philadelphia, PA. April 11, 2010.
94. Emerging Writers Reading series. New York University Cave Canem. New York City, NY. April 16, 2010.
95. Poetry reading. Ragdale, Lake Forest, IL. October 19, 2010.
96. Featured with DeLana Dameron. Busboys and Poets. Washington, DC. April 9, 2009.
97. The Acentos Review Annual Reading. Bowery Poetry Club. New York, NY. August 2, 2009
98. Intersections. The Charles Sumner School Museum & Archives. Washington, DC. August 2009.
99. Jazz Verse Jukebox. London, England. September 13, 2009.
100. Hunter College and Acentos Foundation reading. February 3, 2008.
101. Zora Festival. Eatonville, FL. January 26, 2007.
102. "Juan Bobo: Subversive Folk Tale or Return of Sambo?". New Jersey College English Association. Cranford, NJ. March 18, 2006.
103. Festival of the Book. Charlottesville, VA. March 24, 2006.
104. Helena Festival of the Book. Montana. October 11, 2006.